Dry eye is characterized by many symptoms that can include (but are not limited to): eye irritation, soreness, pain, redness, grittiness, blurred or fluctuating vision or
TrueTear® is a revolutionary new dry eye treatment that works to temporarily increase natural tear production and relieve dry eye symptoms.
What is TrueTear®?
TrueTear® is a state-of-the-art device that is used to stimulate the production of natural tears through a process known as neurostimulation. The device is available by prescription only.
How does it work?
The TrueTear® device is inserted into the nostrils, where it stimulates the trigeminal nerve and the seventh cranial nerve with electrical impulses. As a result, the lacrimal glands are stimulated to produce tears. Your doctor will teach you how to operate the TrueTear® device for self-treatment of dry eye syndrome.
How often should I use TrueTear®?
The device is designed to be used at least twice daily. There are 5 stimulation intensity levels that patients can adjust to their comfort level. Most patients begin use around level 2. TrueTear® can be uses from 30 seconds to 3 minutes at a time, but the maximum use is 30 minutes per 24 hours — the device will automatically shut off after this threshold is reached.
How does it feel to use TrueTear®?
Most patients experience a tingling sensation, and then are aware that tears are forming. It should not be painful. Patients who experience pain, discomfort, or a burning sensation should stop using the device and contact their eye doctor.
Why use TrueTear®?
- Most patients in clinical trials experienced significant relief of dry eye symptoms.
- The device can be tried in the doctor’s office to ensure its effectiveness.
- Stimulation of tears is immediate.
- TrueTear® helps to relieve dry eye symptoms in patients who have trouble administering eye drops due to arthritis, poor vision, etc.
- Most patients prefer to self-treat dry eye symptoms at home, which provides the ability to control dosage and frequency based on symptom severity.
- Many patients have been able to reduce or eliminate the use of
eyedropsfor dry eye.
- TrueTear® can be used in conjunction with other dry eye treatments.
- The device is small and portable, enabling use outside the home and while traveling.
What are the possible side effects or complications?
While the risk of complications from TrueTear® is low, some patients may experience the following adverse effects:
- Nasal pain, burning or discomfort
- Discomfort from electrical stimulation
- Nasal congestion
- Excessive sneezing and runny nose
If you experience any of these symptoms after using TrueTear®, discontinue use of the device and contact your eye doctor.
Am I a candidate for TrueTear®?
Only a physician can determine if you are a good candidate for TrueTear®. TrueTear® has been approved by the FDA for use in adults at least 22 years old. It should not be used by patients with a history of frequent nosebleeds, clotting disorders, pacemakers, implantable defibrillators, or other implantable devices in the head and neck.
Dry eye treatment, Long Beach, CA
Dry eye syndrome is a common, treatable condition. The best way to find relief is to visit your doctor to discuss your symptoms and treatment options. Call us at (562) 799-2020 or schedule an appointment to meet with one of our dry eye specialists in Long Beach!